Friday, September 5, 2008

It's Friday...

Well "Friday" can mean a lot of things to different people....high school football, a night to watch Nascar, a start to a drunken weekend, a movie night with the family, a hot date (yea what are those again?), or just hanging out with friends. Those are a few that come to mind, but for me growing up it meant a night to get ready for the race track we were heading to that weekend. Dad would do final prep work on the bikes and pack up the van... mom would make sure we had plenty of pop tarts and other food to eat and something for us to all sleep on in the van....Robbie got his gear bag together and threw in a few un-matching clothes to wear when he wasn't racing one of his 6 motos... I would shower and completely fix my hair...yes not real sure why..it never looked good after an hour in the blazing heat and wind, but that is what I did. I would get all my stuff together and pack enough for at least a 4 day trip instead of just 2. My dad would come in at 2:30ish am, flip on my bedroom light and say "pumpkin it is time to get up..get in the van." I would jump out of bed and make a last minute bathroom stop and grab my stuff and get in the front seat of the van. That was my spot...I was the co-pilot...the navigator. (mom and Robbie slept the whole way on any trip) BUT... If my dad said, 'we were leaving by 3am'..that means we were pulling out of the driveway at 3am..not 3:01am! I cannot count the number of times he said that to me. We have to get from point A to point B in the quickest, shortest amount of time. That has made me a very punctual person that goes nuts when others are late...especially a lot late!

My husband learned this early on in our relationship. I was taking him to a amateur national in Lake Whitney, TX. It was about a 5 hour drive from OKC. I told him I would 'pick him up at 5am and to be ready to go...not wait let me get my shoes on ready, but ready to walk out the door!!' I showed up at his door right at 5am and he was still eating breakfast....grrrrr the irritation. We get in the car..running behind 'schedule' and I looked at him and said," I told you to be ready at 5am." He said, "well I didn't expect you to actually show up at 5am...I figured you would be like my mom and say 5am and really mean 6 or 7am" Oo little did he know what he was getting into.


My Friday's have varied over the years now. Tonight, I will hang with my family, make dinner (unless I can talk myself into making it a pizza night) and probably watch the hubby play some basketball at the local rec center.

So what is your typical Friday night agenda? Would love to see some comments!

No comments: