Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Ride Like the Wind"

Ok Lets go behind my reasoning for this song. Yes I like it..no I love it! I remember the 1st time I heard this song was 1987...yes I am sure I heard it before with all our travels and listening to the music my dad played in the van as we drove cross country (that is a whole blog in its self), but this was the 1st time that I knew and remembered hearing it.That year one of the Great's in our sport was injured...David Bailey suffered a career ending injury. We didn't have the Internet back then, so it took a while to hear about it. I remember my mom picking out a card and sending it to him (we even saw it in the video with a cat hanging off a tree branch :-D), saying "hang in there" and that "we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers". He never met us nor probably ever heard of us, but that is what is great about the MX community..it is unlike any other. We support each other.


Anyway back to the story.

Afterwards, there was a video that was made to help with his medical costs. Of course, we didn't have a lot of money, but my mom sent off for one as soon as it came out. When it arrived in the mail our whole family sat and watched it. It was sad to see such a great young man laying in a hospital bed. But the video was inspiring and funny at times. I can not count the number of times Robbie and I sat and watched that video. It has been many many years since I saw it and I can still picture it in my head. That is where my song comes into play. They made a section of the video to the song, Ride like the Wind. It started with him on the gate and as it was falling the song built all the way down the start. It still gives me chills. Then the rest of the song had lots of fluid slow motion video of him gliding in the air or railing a berm. It was awesome.


The following year when we went to Loretta Lynn's for the BIG Amatuer National for the 1st time. We loved how they had a radio station there and was giving live audio of the race and playing music. (this was a whole new concept for you young kids) Towards the end of the week my mom and I had an idea...'wouldn't it be cool if they could play the song just like they did in Bailey's video?' I knew what song she wanted..so we headed over there. Found the trailer and asked the guy. We told him what time the race started and what song we wanted....Ride like the Wind. He said he would try, but wasn't making any promises. My mom and I thanked him and went over to watch the start and just as the gate was about to drop the song started. We looked at each other and smiled as I am sure chills ran down both of us. It was just like in the video..expect these were 65cc's pinning it down the start. They played the song for the whole 1st lap. You could hear it over the speakers. It was amazing. That was our little David Bailey moment. A way of honoring a hero!

Still today that song gets me. I hear it on the radio and my mind instantly turns to race mode. Then turns to my cell to give Robbie a call and play it loudly so he can hear. I don't have to say anything he knows it is me.....he knows what it means. I have left him messages with this song playing many times. I just can't help it. I hear it and all I see is slow motion video of David Bailey and Robbie floating through my head.

So just ride like the wind!


Here is the video: (stop the music below to hear and experience this video)

No comments: